Lakeport 10th Anniversary & 2017 Greater Johnson Family Reunion
Labor Day Weekend 2017 • September 1-3, 2017
(updated July 20, 2017)
Registration Form — Deadline August 15
Volunteer Form — Free admission for volunteers
The 2017 reunion and 10th Anniversary will have a flat fee of $100 for adults and $50 for kids 12 and under. (Includes all meals)
- Friday, September 1
5-7 p.m. Event registration and 10th anniversary reception on the grounds of Lakeport Plantation.
House will be open for viewing.
- Saturday, September 2
8-9 a.m. Breakfast at the Ed Center, Lakeport Plantation.
9-Noon Presentations by authors who have written about Lakeport or the Johnsons.
- Christina Snyder, Pennsylvania State University, author of Great Crossings: Indians, Settlers, and Slaves in the Age of Jackson (Oxford University Press, 2017)
- Mike Jordan, Pepperdine University, author of The Freedom Song (2016)
- Blake Wintory, Lakeport Plantation, author of Chicot County (Arcadia, Images of America Series, 2015)
- Tom DeBlack, Arkansas Tech University, “‘A Model Man of Chicot County’: Lycurgus Johnson and Social Change,” in The Southern Elite and Social Change (University of Arkansas Press, 2002)
- Noon-1:30 p.m. Lunch with speaker, Rex Nelson, author of Southern Fried: Going Whole Hog in a State of Wonder (Butler Center Books, 2016). Nelson is Senior Editor at the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and former Presidential appointee to the Delta Regional Authority. He blogs about food and culture at Rex Nelson’s Southern Fried.
1:30-2:30 p.m. Further events at Lakeport, including an official reunion
3:00 p.m. House closes for the day.
Travel to Lake Chicot State Park:
4-6 p.m. Pontoon tours of Lake Chicot and social time. (Lake tours will have a small additional cost.)
6 p.m. Dinner, Living History Presentation.
All day – Oral Histories/Professional duplication of family photographs and
documents, Ed Center
- Sunday, September 3
8-9:30 a.m. “Last Look” Continental Breakfast, Ed Center, Lakeport Plantation.
9:30 a.m. House closes for the weekend.
10-noon Crossing the Mississippi River: Tour of Belmont Plantation, Wayside, MS
Arkansas State University Heritage Sites
Lake Chicot State Park
Suzie Worthington Walters
Joe Dan Yee
George & Marsha Baird
Sam Epstein Angel Family
Lost Contacts (outdated addresses/emails)[iphorm id=”2″ name=”Reunion 2017 Comments”]