News

New Website for Arkansas State University’s Arkansas Heritage Sites

As many of you know, the Lakeport Plantation is part of Arkansas State University’s Arkansas Heritage Sites program.  There are now four Heritage Sites:  Lakeport, the Hemingway-Pfeiffer Museum in Piggott, the Southern Tenant Farmers Museum in Tyronza, and the most recent addition, the Historic Dyess Colony: Boyhood Home of Johnny Cash.  The program also includes the ASU Museum, as well as the Arkansas Delta Byways, which promotes tourism in the 15 county region.


Now there is a single website for all of ASU’s Heritage Sites (thanks to the work of Rachel Miller, a graduate student in Heritage Studies program at ASU).  The website gives an overview of programs, with links to all of the individual Heritage Sites’ web pages. 


Visit http://arkansasheritagesites.astate.edu to check out all the Sites, their programs, history, and how you can experience Arkansas’s history.




Snow Day

Lakeport is closed today (January 10, 2011) due to the inclement weather.



Christmas & New Year’s Hours 2010-2011

Christmas/New Year Holidays 
Open limited hours on December 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 and 30
  •  (Staff will be on-site for tours at 10 am and 2 pm);
Closed December 23-26, 31 and January 1, 2;
Resume regular hours on January 3.

Update:  Pictures from Holiday Open House are at this link.



Final Highway Sign is Added for Westbound Motorists

The last Lakeport Plantation Home sign was installed this week on Highway 82.  Motorists coming over the new bridge from Mississippi will now see a Tourist Oriented Directional Sign (TODS) pointing to the Lakeport turnoff at Hwy 142.

Hwy 82 Westbound Directional Sign for Lakeport/Hwy 142


Thanksgiving & Holiday Hours, plus our 2nd Annual Holiday Open House

Thanksgiving Holiday
Limited Hours on November 24 (Day before Thanksgiving). Staff will be onsite for tours at 10 a.m. until Noon.
Closed for the Thanksgiving Holiday – November 25 and 26;  Resume regular hours on November 29th

2nd Annual Holiday Open House
We are busy getting ready for the Holidays at Lakeport. With the Friends of Lakeport, we have began putting up the Christmas decorations and are preparing for the 2nd Annual Holiday Open House, Saturday, December 4 at Lakeport from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.

We will again celebrate the Season with classic holiday arts & crafts and holiday refreshments.  Bring the family and enjoy hot apple cider, Christmas cookies, spice cake, music and tours of the historic Lakeport Plantation home.  And, with our special connections, we will again have a special jolly guest.


Christmas/New Year Holidays 
Open limited hours on December 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 and 30 (Staff will be on-site for tours at 10 am and 2 pm);
Closed December 23-26, 31 and January 1, 2;
Resume regular hours on January 3.




Lakeport’s Floor Cloth — Another Discovery

The ca. 1860 floor cloth was one of the most exciting finds during Lakeport’s restoration.  
The wall to wall (15’ x 9” x 26’ 2”) floor cloth (or oil cloth) was rediscovered in the entry room during restoration, having been previously documented by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program in the 1970s.  Canvas floor cloths were often painted to give them the look of carpet, but with increased durability.  The floral and medallion composition of the design conforms to known woven carpet patterns of the period.
Conserved sections of Lakeport floor cloth
     The two sections displayed have been cleaned and conserved by Becky Witsell’s Studio Werk in Little Rock.  Analysis revealed the cloth, painted with fourteen colors, is “composed of Bast fibers which are linen, flax, hemp or jute.”  


     Additionally, two labels were discovered underneath the floor cloth, which also transposed on the flooring.  In the southeast corner a shipping label states, “L. L. Johnson, Lakeport, Ark.”  While at the threshold to the entry of the home, a worn dealer’s mark partially reads, “Fr[om] Hi[?], Louisville, KY.”

Shipping Label, Southeast Corner

Negative image of Lakeport entry threshold shows some of the dealer’s label.
     The worn dealer’s label has always been a source of frustration.  The fact that it read Louisville, KY is interesting, because the Johnson’s are from Kentucky and other materials for the house are also coming from that area–Wallace & Lithgow Stove, as well as the mantels (Madison, Indiana).  But we have always wanted to know who “Hi[?]” was.  Well, thanks to a little bit of historical research, we can, with some certainty, say that the importer of the floor cloth was the firm of “Hite & Small” in Louisiville, KY.  

From the entry floor we can make out the “Fr[om] … Hi[?]…Louisville, Ky”.  

From knowing that, we looked in the 1859 Hawes’ Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory on microfilm and found “Hite & Small” under “Hi”.

Since they are importers, the floor cloth could very well be made somewhere else [There were floor cloth makers in Kentucky in the mid-19th century].

There is also an 1859 City Directory online (difficult to search thru, though).  There, we find Hite’s and Small’s full names (William C. Hite and George W. Small)

Hite seems to show up in the 1860 Census as a 37 year old, Engineer born in Ireland with $800 real estate, $200 personal estate.  (not so sure about it though).   While, Small is a 45 year old, Kentucky born Merchant worth $40,000 real estate, $30,000 personal estate.
Hite & Small advertisement, Louisville Daily Journal, Feb 1, 1859



Full time Rvers Blog about visiting Lakeport

Journeyin’…living & traveling in a RV: Last antebellum plantation in Arkansas: “I had to get my dictionary out to look up the definition of antebellum : “. . .relating to the period before the Civil War.” On our list …”



Highway Signage Impoving at Lakeport

     More highways signs were installed this week on Highway 82 at the foot of the new Mississippi river bridge.  For several weeks the signs noting the location of Highway 142 were missing. This has confused a few guests, who eventually did find us. Were there others who didn’t? So, no more confusion. We have green highway signs that point you to Lakport (AR side only) and Highway 142 signs to remind drivers that 142 is near and arrowed Highway 142 signs showing the highway (AR and MS sides). We are still waiting for a brown highway sign for Lakeport Plantaiton for drivers coming off the bridge from Mississippi (UPDATE:  Sign was installed in the second week of December 2010).
  There lead up to the new bridge is also improved.  There are now four lanes and a turn off lane for Highway 142.
New Green Directional Highway Sign, Hwy 82 heading east 

New Hwy 142 Turn off sign.

Brown Lakeport Plantation sign at Hwy 82E & Hwy 142 (The AR Hwy Dept calls these Tourist Oriented Directional Signs [TODS])  Also, notice the improved turn off lane.

Brown Lakeport Plantation sign at Hwy 82W & Hwy 142 ( For west bound motorists).
New Sign marking the Mississippi River.
New Highway 142 Sign on Hwy 82W (coming off MS River Bridge)



Lakeport Will Be Open for Columbus Day, Monday, October 11

Lakeport will be open for Columbus Day.  If you’re exploring that day, we will be here for you to discover a new world.


Another Season of Cotton

One of things that makes Lakeport special is the continued cultivation of cotton around the home.  With the home still in its original surroundings, its link to the past is ever-present.  In 1831, Joel Johnson left Scott County, Kentucky with 23 enslaved laborers for Chicot County.  The enslaved laborers slowly carved a plantation out of bottomland hardwood forests.  By 1850 the Lakeport estate contained 4,013 acres, 132 slaves, 20 horses, 34 mules, and 85 cattle.  It produced 4,000 bushels of corn, 475 bales of cotton (400 lb), 300 bushels of potatoes, 300 bushels of sweet potatoes, and 20 bushels of peas and beans.  

Green Fields of Cotton, July 22, 2010

The fields of cotton provide a beautiful backdrop to Lakeport and its agricultural history, but we should also think about how much Lakeport changed in the past 160 years; Plantations are no longer diversified centers of agriculture.  Lakeport is strictly in cotton now.  There are no mules, horses, or oxen and no corn is grown to feed those beasts of burden.  And rather than grow their own food, cotton farmers today likely buy their food at grocery stores like Sunflower or Yee’s Food Land in Lake Village.  Cotton plantations have also gone through several stages:  slave-based labor to sharecropping and tenant system to mechanization today. Where it took hundreds of laborers and animals to grow a season of cotton in 1850, today it requires a handful of workers, plus tractors, fuel, and cropper dusters that spray for pests and the defoliants that reveal the white bolls of cotton that we see in September.

Cotton Picking, September 16, 2010
Crop picked and half the field brush hogged, September 20, 2010